Thursday, September 13, 2007

Apathy, Marriage, and the Grace of God

I am 17 days away from the wedding and nothing else matters.

No really....it doesn't.

I'm having a hard time caring about much these days. You married folks can probably attest to this: When you've been planning and stressing over one day for 6 months and that one day is just over two weeks away...well...everything else just seems to fade into the background.

Work especially...I mean, look at me! I'm at work blogging about being apathetic about work when I should be working. Meh.

On a different note: How weird is marriage? Seriously.

Brian were talking about this the other day while we were driving in the truck. I've known Brian for a total of maybe 2 years, and we've only really been friends for a year and a half.....and now I'm suddenly deciding to spend the rest of my life with him? I mean, who is this guy? We're like total strangers and I'm willingly committing myself to him and entering into an unbreakable covenant before God and everyone I know that's important to me. Gah! And how the heck can he think it's a good idea to commit himself to me? I'm all sorts of crazy!

*excuse me for a moment while I hyperventilate....where's that damn paper bag?*

Phew! I'm ok now.

Don't get me wrong...I fully believe that Brian is the one for me and that there will never be another, and I have never questioned his love for me...it's just I know how little we fully grasp the weight of what we'll be doing in 17 short days. How can we? We have no idea what we're getting ourselves into.

Which brings me to my final point: It's a good thing we believe in a God that's bigger than whatever mess we can make for ourselves. I feel like I have to say this out loud or write it down to remind myself that it's true: He's bigger than our selfishness, bigger than any fight we might have, bigger than any misunderstanding, bigger than any illness or tragedy we might have to face, and ultimately, big enough to help us goobers blunder our way through a lifetime of loving each other, raising a family, and doing whatever it is we choose to do with the rest of our lives together.

Ok, I really do have to work now.

*grumble grumble*

-Kristy

1 comment:

Katie said...

I can definately remember feeling like this! The funny thing now is that I feel like this again (the not wanting to work because there is so much else going on). I keep just thinking about how many places we are going to have to change our address =) I am really excited for you guys though. A word of wisdom and encouragement? Enjoy the next 17 days. That may seem impossible, but seriously, you will look back on those times and hopefully cherish them. Don't let the stress take over, spend time with family and friends that have gathered together to celebrate you two. Enjoy this time and know that Joel and I will be there to support you guys, always, even if we move! Have a good day at work!